Pages

Thursday 31 January 2013

Putting new flesh on old bones

A couple of years ago I wrote a short story for an online competition, the story itself was a basic ghost story set at Halloween, it was actually the first proper thing I had ever finished so just for that I was pleased with myself, when it won I was over the moon.

As  of right now it still is the only story ive managed to put " the end" on,  ive a couple of shorts started on paper ( ok, on Google docs, ) and a few more in mind that im confidant wont take too much teasing to finish. The more I write the easier it is too write it seems.

As much as I love that first finished ghost story after re reading it I realised thete was very little to it. Sure it has a beggining a middle and an end and the story itself was structurally sound but that was all there was, it lacked depth. Like the kid in the story itself the bare bones of it  needed fleshing out . I put it on my to do list and forties about it for a while. It was after pressing pause on one of the eifferwin tales id been working on ( in my head the story is complete, in writing mabey a fifth is done) I decided re visit the samuals family and see if I couldnt give them a little more...a little more everything I guess.

Im half way though the edit and ive probably already doubled the original word count and im really pleased the characters now have some actual character behind them and the story has gained weight without getting bloated.

Its evolving too, not so much that it wont be recognizable from the original but enough to make it a slightly different creature, like the difference between a wild and a house cat and ive even managed to bring it into the eifferwin universe. Admittedly it feels a  bit shoe horned in at the moment but that might be where I know, when its part of the big story im sure it will sit perfectly, im looking forward to finishing the tale all over again, and once I have theres a big box of people and places up.in the loft dating back to the.early 1990s I might have to pay a visit to :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment